Friday, June 11, 2010

a visit and a thank you for the NICU...

What a difference a year makes...

Above is a picture of the boys the day they came home from 3 weeks in the NICU and a picture of my one year-olds coming back to the NICU. We wanted to say thanks and show all the nurses how big they've gotten.

I will always remember the nurse Carolyn (pic above) who was the one that let me finally hold Sullivan when he was 4 days old. It was Sunday and as I was about to leave she said, "So do you want to hold this guy or what?" I said, "This guy?" pointing to Oliver and she said, "NO, that guy" pointing to Sullivan. I just couldn't believe it... I asked if it would be okay with all of the cords and biliruben lights on him and out of the corner of her mouth she said, "well, some wouldn't let you, but I think he really needs some mom love and we can be careful don't you think?!" I, of course, said "yes!" I couldn't stand holding him without Ryan so I called him and he left the kids in Primary at church and we FINALLY got to hold our little Sullivan

We brought The NICU a basket of "double" goodies to say thanks. I had wanted to visit earlier, but with the Swine Flu lockdown we weren't able to. For the most part the babies are usually just "double fun", but as they start to move around more "double trouble" is starting to happen...


3 comments:

JB said...

That was great to take the boys back to NICU. I'm sure the staff there appreciated the feedback and the goodie basket!

burton family said...

What a great idea! I'm sure the nurses love to see results like that. There are too many stories of sick babies that go home to a not so great home life. It has to feel so rewarding to see two that are loved and adored.

The McArthur Family said...

You are so adorable and thoughtful, Amanda! Can I be like you when I grow up?