warm-up on the ergs, square your blades, don't fall in, starboard oar, go to the catch, port oar, bow, stern, don't tip the boat, feather your blades, go to the finish, don't put pressure on your oars, NEVER take your hands off the oars, bring your oars with your hands left over right, relax, find the zen of rowing, stroke, don't fall in, your oars resting on the water are your training wheels, the boat is your PFD... if you go over board hold onto your boat, it floats! weigh 'nuf
On Monday my friend Emily and I started a little adventure in the world of rowing... sculling to be specific!
We went through safety procedures, boating terms and practiced on the rowing machines, aka ergs. I was a little disappointed that we wouldn't be going on the water the first day. However, after hearing a lot of "if you do this... you'll end up in the water" during the instructions I started thinking, hmmm I want to go ON the water not IN the water! Monday we also went out and took a look at the single person scull we'd be rowing and I got NERVOUS! I thought I would be in something more like a canoe, something with some depth, to sit in. In a scull you're sitting right on top of the boat and it looked very tipsy to me!
Tuesday we were able to go out on the water in a quad. The quads are a lot bigger and felt quite stable. I was happy to have the chance to be on the water without falling in and hoped that I would be as successful on my own.
Success! Today I went out in a scull on the water by myself without incident! I took it slow and steady... my goal was pretty simple, DON'T TURN THE SCULL & END UP IN THE WATER!
My next goal? To look like this lady... :)



3 comments:
I have wanted to take up rowing for a long time. I keep looking at the website for the Great Salt Lake Rowing Co. I'm super jealous of you right now.
Amanda ... that is so awesome!! It looks like so much fun!! Go girl!
Trev's mom used to scull. I wish I were as ambitious as you. I hear it's a great total body workout.
Kristin
Post a Comment