Exhibit:Waite Twins

The twins had their first trip to the Smithsonian. We've been out before with the twins and had people stop and talk to us and ask questions "How old?" "Identical or fraternal?" etc. You always seem to get a little added attention and comments when you have a newborn baby, but when you have two newborn babies, a huge stroller with two car seats attached, two other kids and practically look like a small parade you get a LOT of attention! This I found out at the Natural History Museum. I don't know how many times I heard something similar to the following: "Look at the the whale bones... look at the turtle bones...ohhhh (in baby talk voice) look at the twins! Hey Martha, did you see the twins?" "Wow, look at the giant tarantula! Did you see the butterfly exhibit? (baby talk starts) Look at those little babies, wow, are they twins?" I heard this over and over throughout the day. Then there were the folks that stopped to chat. I met a lady and her 15 year old boy who is a twin all about his life as a twin. I learned about the birth weight of numerous people's babies, who had c-sections and who didn't, people's time in NICU, all about any multiple birth in their family or circle of friends and how I should be glad I'm not the octo-mom. People were very encouraging and nice... I got lots of "hang in there", "get some rest", "I hear the first year is hell and then it gets better", "they're beautiful", "God Bless you and be with you" lots of "oooos" and "ahs" and so on. It's not that I was annoyed by any of these curious admirers... I wasn't in a hurry and the boys were sleeping peacefully. It's just strange how two sweet little babies can make people so overly friendly... and some people think east coasters aren't very friendly! (well we were in a museum and perhaps they were all visiting from the west:) Anyway, I guess I'll just have to plan on showing off my babies (which isn't a problem) and planning a little more time for my outings!

The twins had their first trip to the Smithsonian. We've been out before with the twins and had people stop and talk to us and ask questions "How old?" "Identical or fraternal?" etc. You always seem to get a little added attention and comments when you have a newborn baby, but when you have two newborn babies, a huge stroller with two car seats attached, two other kids and practically look like a small parade you get a LOT of attention! This I found out at the Natural History Museum. I don't know how many times I heard something similar to the following: "Look at the the whale bones... look at the turtle bones...ohhhh (in baby talk voice) look at the twins! Hey Martha, did you see the twins?" "Wow, look at the giant tarantula! Did you see the butterfly exhibit? (baby talk starts) Look at those little babies, wow, are they twins?" I heard this over and over throughout the day. Then there were the folks that stopped to chat. I met a lady and her 15 year old boy who is a twin all about his life as a twin. I learned about the birth weight of numerous people's babies, who had c-sections and who didn't, people's time in NICU, all about any multiple birth in their family or circle of friends and how I should be glad I'm not the octo-mom. People were very encouraging and nice... I got lots of "hang in there", "get some rest", "I hear the first year is hell and then it gets better", "they're beautiful", "God Bless you and be with you" lots of "oooos" and "ahs" and so on. It's not that I was annoyed by any of these curious admirers... I wasn't in a hurry and the boys were sleeping peacefully. It's just strange how two sweet little babies can make people so overly friendly... and some people think east coasters aren't very friendly! (well we were in a museum and perhaps they were all visiting from the west:) Anyway, I guess I'll just have to plan on showing off my babies (which isn't a problem) and planning a little more time for my outings!

1 comment:
Too funny. You just don't think about the comments but that is true! Everyone wants to see new babies and especially twins.
Post a Comment